Thanks to the internet and social media, the practice of oil pulling has become quite popular. However, with anything that is popularized by the Internet, there can be doubts and misconceptions surrounding this practice too. If you are someone who hasn't tried oil pulling but are interested in finding out its benefits and how to do it, we have got you covered.
Oil pulling is an old Ayurvedic practice that involves swishing oil in the mouth for a short period of time to improve oral hygiene and reap other health benefits simultaneously.
This traditional medicinal process is said to pull out toxins present in your body.
Oil pulling is basically a mouthwash rinse but with oil in which you take one tablespoon of good cold-pressed oil (can be any oil including coconut, sesame, mustard, but the most preferable is cold-pressed coconut oil due to its highly absorbable properties and agreeable taste) and then you swish the oil inside your mouth for about good 15–20 minutes and throw it out. And yes you read that correct, around 15–20 minutes, as Ayurveda mentions it to be the appropriate time for the process to take place.
You can start slowly for about 5 minutes, then go to 10 and progressively increase the time.Benefits of Oil Pulling
1. Oil Pulling helps kill harmful bacteria in your mouth. Various studies have confirmed that oil pulling helps eliminate bad bacteria which can contribute to problems like tooth decay, bad breath, and gum diseases.
2. It also helps eliminate bad breath as there are hundreds of different types of bacteria in your mouth. While many of them are friendly, some are not.
3. Great for your oral health as it is good for gums, tongue, and teeth.
4. Good for overall detoxification of the body, as it helps bind all the toxins and then eliminate them from your body which results in optimal body functioning.
The other important thing that you should take care of is the type of oil that you use for oil pulling,
As mentioned, the most suitable oil to use for oil pulling is good cold-pressed/virgin coconut oil as some people might face issues with mustard or sesame oil being a bit too potent, which may cause some burn and irritation.
__ECOMPRODUCT__556__Some things to take care of
1. Make sure you perform oil pulling first thing in the morning on an empty stomach before brushing your teeth.
2. Don't spit out the oil in your wash basin as it can clog your sewerage pipelines, try throwing it in a newspaper/paper towel or in any dustbin.
3. Also, make sure that you don't swallow the oil, as it is full of toxins and all the bad stuff that you want to remove from your body.Is your effort worth it?
Various studies have confirmed the benefits of this old medicinal practice towards improving one's overall health and oral hygiene. Integrating this little practice for good health and giving oil pulling a try is not a bad idea, as science says that oral health and general health are interrelated.