In the age of enticing food delivery apps like Zomato and Swiggy that have completely changed the landscape of how we order our food and more importantly how often we order our food, which no one can deny has increased at an exponential rate in the last few years, dealing with a pandemic now has been rather unsettling.
In the last few weeks, amidst the coronavirus crises, a lot of us have had to abruptly change our food choices as most of us have started working from home. With paranoia increasing, a lot of us have had to stop ordering food online and switch to cooking in the kitchen.
And, if you're living with your family like me, your family will definitely not let you order from outside. In fact, smuggling in food, if caught is met with fuming stares and justifiably so, with a whopping rise in Covid-19 patients, the last thing we want is to transition into a situation like Italy which our country most definitely cannot handle. This means that you need to stock up your kitchen for the next couple of weeks in a way that does not leave you frustrated for good food.
With rising pandemic panic, people are stocking up like never before, which means you'll need to get your kitchen stocked up with essentials. This doesn't mean that you get six months' worth of food. Firstly, that's impractical and the food might get spoilt and secondly, the supply is anyway less, so you should stick to what you need and leave the rest for other people to take.
1. Let's start with basics, you need to make sure your food staples are well accounted for in the next two weeks. This refers to staples in a regular Indian diet. Rice, wheat flour, potatoes, onions, lentils that you prefer on the regular, kidney beans, chickpeas, and sugar. Make sure you have enough to last you a while. These ingredients are versatile and can be cooked in a number of ways.
2. For the freezer, you could get packets of peas, corn, among other vegetables that can be frozen and meat that can be frozen for a while, these are ingredients that you can fish out to make the everyday meals interesting.
3. Stock long-lasting fruits like bananas, apples, grapefruit, oranges. Unripe bananas will ripen over the course of several days, so you can enjoy them as you go. You could also slice and freeze them for snacking or to toss in smoothies down the line.
Â© Varun Dhawan/ Instagram
4. For daily essentials like milk, eggs, and bread, subscription services come in handy. Apps like BB Daily and Amazon offer great delivery services. However, taking into account the high demand at present that can result in late deliveries, you could check with your kirana stores if they offer delivery services. If your state is under lockdown, it's important to know that these delivery services are still working even if they deliver late.
5. Another Indian kitchen staple is the 'masala box' that filled with all the condiments and spices that are an essential component of every dish. You'll have to make sure all the masalas are stocked up well.
6. For snacking, you could stock up on jars of peanut butter, cheese, and Nutella that is easily available on these subscription services as well.
7. You also need to account for food that suits your health needs and for people you're living with, for different health conditions, you'll have a list of things that you need to avoid and things you definitely need to stock up on. Make sure, you're all set with that stuff stocked in the cabinet as well.
Â© Ranveer Singh/ Instagram
While I'm sure that stocking up on these essentials hasn't been tough, it's letting the stock sit in the cabinets that are an actual problem. We're referring to the constant cravings that you will now have whilst sitting at home. Not stepping out of your house also means that you're losing out on your daily steps targets and the gym/cult sessions that kept your weight on track. And bingeing on fattening foods is only going to make the situation worse. So, you could also make it point to stock up on healthier alternatives that work for you. In general, establishing a routine, in terms of when you'll have your meals helps to keep your meals in check.