This topic is of significant interest for bros at the gym as there are many myths surrounding it.
The claims made on this topic:
1. Masturbation is bad for your gains.
2. Masturbation reduces your testosterone and you cannot build muscle.
3. You will lose muscle if you masturbate.Nearest To The Truth
The truth is, masturbation, has little to no effect on your testosterone directly. As it does not affect your testosterone, there is no significant effect of jerking off on your gains. Now, if it does not really affect your muscle gains, when should you masturbate?
© ThinkstockBefore Your Workout Or After Your Workout?
What happens when you masturbate? A couple of hormonal changes happen in your body. The hormones at play here are prolactin and dopamine. When you masturbate, your prolactin levels shoot up and your dopamine levels take a dip.
When these two happen together, which they do when you masturbate, your sexual drive suppresses for a few hours and your heart rate goes up. You feel physically exhausted and tired. You desire a couple of hours of good sleep as well.
If you happen to plan a workout after masturbating, this can impact the intensity of your workout in a couple of ways.
1. You may either feel like missing the session altogether as you are tired and in a mood to sleep. It is not really motivating for you to hit the weights in such a state. You would rather hit the bed and doze off for a couple of hours than going to the gym.
2. If you do end up going to the gym, your workouts might not be that intense as you are feeling tired and have an already elevated heart rate. You may not be able to lift as heavy as you normally would. This would lead to a lower workout volume and might add up in the long term affecting your muscle gains.
If you happen to masturbate after a workout, you will have the same effects as above. But, the good part would be that you have already completed your intense training session and your workout was not affected in any significant way as well.
So, if you compare the two, masturbation post-exercise seems a better option in the given scenario. Again, at the end of the day, it is your call and your personal choice of what you would like to do and what suits you better.
Pratik Thakkar is the co-founder and director of GetSetGo Fitness, an online fitness company. He is regarded as someone who will make it easy for you to understand the process by putting things in the right context and providing science-based recommendations for natural bodybuilding. You can reach out to him at email@example.com and follow him on Instagram and Facebook.